Thursday, April 16, 2015

Day eleven: April 16, 2015

9:15-10:40

15 hours and 35 minutes

      Today was my last and final day tutoring due to finals and many test coming up for me at University of Georgia. When I got there, many students were late for first period. There were only a couple of students in Mrs. Clarks Class not including James. This worried me because I knew that this was going to have to be my last day. I was chatting with Mrs. Clark while we waited for her classroom to fill up and she was talking to about how the End of Course Tests were coming up and how she was nervous for her students because this determined if they were going to be advancing to the next level. She told me that today was going to be the last day of regular class and that they were about to begin Test prep. 
     James did end up coming to school today and he actually wanted me to tutor him today so we made our way to the media center to get started on his work. He ended up having a quiz over reading comprehension. Before we started, I asked him if he was nervous about the tests coming up and he told me that he was because he wanted to make sure he was going to pass so he could start on his next level. I just told him that he would do fine if he paid attention during the test prep because it is usually the same types of questions and he just said okay and we started on his reading comprehension quiz. When working on his reading comprehension quiz, he didn't feel like reading so he kept trying to guess the answers without reading which he ended up getting wrong. So again I asked him to read the whole thing through and then summarize it to me. When he began doing that he started getting the answers right. When he realized that every question had a new passage that he had to read he started trying to skip to other questions to see if they didn't have passages but they all did so he asked me if he could go to the restroom so he went. There were only ten questions on this quiz but each one had about a three paragraph passage and two questions that went along with it. He got back about 10 minutes later and started to try and guess on the answers again. I told him that these questions were a lot like what was going to be on his End of Course test and for some reason this really frustrated him. He kept on trying to guess on his answers and about ten minutes before class let out he exited out of everything on the computer without finishing his quiz and told me he was going back to Mrs. Clarks class and walked out. After this, I went and talked to Mrs. Reed and she said that this wasn't that uncommon for him and that he had been doing this to tutors all week. She told me that she would talk to him and thanked me for my patience with him all semester.
      Overall, I really did enjoy tutoring James because it taught me how to be patient with someone who isn't really motivated to learn. Although, James and I never really formed a relationship I know that I did actually help him even if it was only pushing him from one question to the next to make sure that he got all his work done on time. I really did enjoy tutoring at Classic City and Mrs. Reed invited me to come back next semester so I will probably be doing that!

No comments:

Post a Comment